These scones are a fabulous breakfast & honestly they're good enough for dessert too! Not only are they vegan but gluten free as well. Enjoy with chocolate chips, fruit, or nuts mixed in :)
- 1 TBSP flax meal
- 3 TBSP hot water
- 1/2 cup plain coconut milk (or soy)
- 1 tsp lemon juice 2 cups flour**
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick vegan butter (I love Earth Balance)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips, blueberries or any other fruit!
**For the flour in this recipe I used 1/2 cup each of: brown rice (or sorghum)flour garbanzo flour tapioca starch potato starch It worked really well but you could try another mix if you've got it :) Instructions:
- Prep a cookie sheet with parchment paper and preheat over to 425.
- In a small bowl mix together flax meal & water. Let mixture set at least 5 minutes and stir "goop" together until well blended. (This is your "egg".)
- In a glass liquid measuring cup combine milk & lemon juice. (This acts as a "buttermilk".)Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together: flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and brown sugar.
- Cut butter into chunks and add to the dry mixture. Cut in with knives or a pastry blender tool until crumbly.
- Add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips to the dry mixture. (Or wait and add blueberries or other fruit at the end.)
- Add flax "egg" into mixture above. Then add "buttermilk" mixture. Finally add vanilla & almond and mix until just binding together.
- Sprinkle rice or sorghum flour onto countertop. Place dough on top and knead a few times (5 or 6 times). Pat into a round shape (like a really big thick pancake). Cut into 8 pie shaped pieces.
- Place on cookie sheet, brush tops lightly with milk and bake in 425 degree over for 13 –15 minutes.
- Cool for a couple minutes on the pan & then on wire rack.