Espresso + dark chocolate = LOVE at our house and these delicious cookies are a new favorite for sure! The gooey, chewy cookies are based on my favorite gluten free & vegan brownie recipe from Babycakes NYC so they're rich, fudgey & intensely chocolate. Add in an espresso kick and you've got a cookie that's not for the faint of heart. Serious dessert lovers only!
- 1 cup garbanzo flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 TBSP tapioca starch (or arrowroot)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBSP vanilla (or vanilla powder)
- 3 TBSP coffee (or water)
- 2 TBSP instant espresso
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir espresso powder into coffee for a stronger flavor (or water if you prefer a more subtle coffee flavor) and set aside.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add oil, applesauce & espresso liquid and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tsp onto cookie sheet & bake for 8-10 minutes.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.