Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
There have been several occasions (via the holidays or otherwise), that I needed to make a dessert that would please lots of people. Knowing that most people like chocolate, I once took a chance and made this cake. It turned out moist and rich, which I believe is caused by putting coffee in the batter. I am sure you will enjoy it as is, or by substituting ingredients to fit your dietary needs.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar (or raw cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt cake pan (or angel food cake pan).
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, coffee and vanilla until batter is smooth. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean or cake pulls away from edges of pan.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Cool completely and then sprinkle on powdered sugar if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons