Talk about feeling good! I’ve been on a buckwheat kick for the past week or so. I have only started using buckwheat for the past couple of months, and I am hooked! Buckwheat is full of healthful easily digestible proteins, it draws out retained water from the body, and is non-allergenic. Buckwheat is generally free of chemicals, as it grows so quickly and easily that it doesn't "need" them. How's that for awesome? Seen Oprah lately? One of her cohort physicians, Dr. Perricone, is even calling it a superfood!
There are a couple of specific recipes that I am really loving these days(see below). And guess what? I’m eating some raw chocolate buckwheat treats right now! In fact, the whole family loves them!
Important notes on Buckwheat:
• Make sure (unless the recipe states otherwise) to get raw buckwheat (sometimes sprouted and dehydrated) and not toasted/roasted buckwheat, (also known as Kasha) as it has a completely different flavour and is much stronger. What you want is the light-coloured buckwheat.
• Buckwheat is Gluten-Free!
• Very high in Manganese, Magnesium, Fiber and Flavonoids (extended information on Buckwheat)
The recipes I hae selected are those which include healthy whole-food ingredients, or are at least healthier versions of typical recipes (such as pancakes, muffins, and crackers. They are all vegan, as you may have guessed!
3. Vanilla Buckwheat Granola (This recipe does ask for Kasha.)
7. Raw Choco Buckwheat Treats (SO GOOD!)