Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Lentils are known as the staple of India. They are prepared in countless ways across the country day in and day out. Dal Tadka is one of the most famous lentil curries prepared in India. Basically, Dal Tadka is lentils prepared with Indian spices, giving the dish an authentic, rich flavor. The ingredients are very basic and the dish is extremely simple to prepare. This dish contains a high level of protein due to the lentils. ar
- 1 cup split red lentils
- ½ cup yellow moong dal
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil to cook
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Step 1: Rinse the lentils and soak them for an hour.
- STEP 2: Add some oil to a large suacepan. Then add cumin seeds, onions, ginger, and garlic and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- STEP 3: Now add the finely chopped tomatoes to the mixture. Cook for approximately two minutes more.
- STEP 4: Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt to the mixture. Combine thoroughly and let your mix simmer in the spices over a low heat for about five minutes.
- STEP 5: Take the soaked dal and cook it in a pressure cooker for five minutes until it is soft.
- STEP 6: Add your softened dal to the prepared mixture and cook over low for an additional five minutes. You can add water to the pan as desired.
Garnish with finely chopped cilantro leaves. Serve piping hot with basmati rice.
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr.