Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 30 mins.
I have always liked crispy tacos. I like everything crunchy, like corn tortilla chips with salsa.
I thought these tacos would be good- and simple to make (which is a must for me). Simply stuff corn tortillas with a delicious mashed potato filling. I originally called these potato taquitos, but my husband changed their name to Irish Taquitos.
For more variations, try:
- Mediterranean taquitos: substitute potatoes with chickpeas
- Indian Taquitos: substitute potatoes with lentils
- Italian Taquitos: substitute potatoes with eggplant
You can basically stuff them with anything you have at home. Sweet potatoes, cauliflower, mushroom, kale, zucchini, spinach, etc. Just use the following recipe:
Crispy Irish Taquitos
- ½ cup of crumbled soft tofu
- 4 potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsps. cumin
- 2 tsps. onion powder
- 2 tsps. garlic powder
- 12 corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
1. Boil the potatoes in water, add a pinch of salt, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until soft
2. Drain potatoes and let cool.
3. Add tofu, salt, pepper, cumin, onion and garlic powder and salt. Mix well.
4. Warm tortillas on a griddle until soft.
5. Take about 2 spoonfuls ( about 2 ounces ) of the mixture and place it in a line across the center of each tortilla and roll it up.
6. Secure with a toothpick; inserting it at the edge of the tortilla and running it through the center. (make sure to remove the toothpicks before serving).
7. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
8. Fry tacos until crispy.
9. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
10. Serve with salsa, shredded lettuce, sliced avocado and vegan sour cream.
To make your homemade salsa, combine tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, garlic, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a food processor.
I never fry anything at home, but I guess once in a blue moon is okay.
You can always try baking them at 450*F for 10-15 minutes; for a lighter version.
If you're more of a flauta fan, you can make them with flour tortillas.
For a complete Cinco de Mayo meal, serve with refried beans, Mexican rice and a margarita or Corona.
If you like Mexican food you’re going to love these! Enjoy!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.