Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
The use of vegan margarine comes in handy when you want to bake a delicious cake or cupcakes, such as this recipe, with refreshing and sweet lemon. It's an easy vegan recipe to try.
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 cup juice from a lemon
How to Make it:
- 1. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lather flour as well as butter onto a pan, or line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- 2. Mix the nut milk with the lemon juice together. Give them a chance to curdle while you mix the sugar with the butter.
- 3. Now, add the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda as well as the cornstarch to a bowl and mix them.
- 4. These dry ingredients should be mixed with the almond milk and lemon, as well as the zest, into the butter blend. Mix it well.
- 5. Place this mixture into the pan or fill cupcake cups 2/3 full and then pop into the oven. If making a traditional cake, allow it to bake for about 45 minutes - take it out when the mixture has become golden-brown. If making cupcakes, check at approximately 28 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick in the center comes out nearly clean.
How to Make Lemon Frosting
What’s lemon cake without delicious lemon frosting, right? Here is how to mix your own:
- Two lemon zests
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to Make it:
- 1. Use a mixer to blend the lemon zests with the vegan margarine.
- 2. Sift the powdered sugar onto the mixture with the use of a strainer. Make sure it is mixed well.
- 3. Add the lemon juice by beating it into the mixture - make sure you do this slowly, with just one tablespoon every time.
- 4. When the mixture has the consistency of icing, you know it is ready.
- 5. Place it in the refrigerator and use it when you need it.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.