Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
I am a real fan of cookies for when I need a sweet treat, but it is often hard to find vegan ones, and if I do find them, they tend to be expensive. So, I usually have to bake my own. Some time back, I found this awesome vegan cookie recipe and adapted it slightly in the baking. They have come out so well that it inspired me to share it here. These nut-based cookies are completely vegan, easy to make, taste superb, and are gluten-free. What a bargain! They don’t use wheat flour, but a combination of gram and rice flour instead. No eggs, egg-substitutes, or raising agents required either, so relatively few ingredients. I have become quite addicted to these, so it’s probably a good idea for me not to make them too often! When I baked these I substituted coconut oil for half of the fat content the original recipe specified, which was around half a cup of any vegan butter substitute. The coconut oil adds some extra flavor and is also a bit more healthy, which is why I used it here. I have got into the habit of using coconut oil in cooking fairly frequently. I also add a little vanilla essence, which works well. The flavor of the hazelnuts comes through beautifully in any case, and makes a very more-ish cookie.
- 125g of Earth Balance, or other vegan spread *
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 50g rice flour
- 50g gram (chickpea) flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 50g chopped hazelnuts
- Half a teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 350 ° F/ 180° C/gas mark 4. Grease two baking sheets with your vegan spread.
- Cream the vegan spread together with the sugar until it is pale and fluffy. Then gradually stir in the rice flour, gram flour, ground almonds and hazelnuts until a soft dough is formed (if the dough doesn’t come together naturally, add a small dash of water or plant milk until you can form it into a ball).
- Spoon/drop small balls of the mixture onto the baking sheets, making sure they are well apart. Dip a fork into cold water and flatten each ball, leaving a pattern.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until they are golden in colour. Cool for 5 minutes, before removing them from the tray. Place the cookies onto a wire rack to cool and firm (they will crisp up as they cool).
- Store the cookies in an airtight container or home-freeze on the day of baking and defrost in an airtight container before eating.
* You can also, for a variant, use around 75 g of coconut oil and 75g of Earth balance or another vegan butter replacer.
Picture courtesy of www.eatingwell.com