Golden milk is becoming a hot trend because of its reputation as a health drink and best of all you can make it yourself! Here's why you should whip this up in your kitchen on a daily basis.
What's in Golden Milk?
- Golden milk doesn't actually contain any dairy. It's made by mixing together one cup of almond milk, half a teaspoon of ground turmeric, half a teaspoon of ground ginger, and a quarter teaspoon of cardamom. Recipes for golden milk sometimes include a dash of honey but you can give it a skip for vegan reasons without missing out on the health benefits of this drink. Once you've got all the ingredients together, just whisk them together before pouring into a glass and enjoying. You can also warm it up first if you like. It's that easy to prepare.
Health Benefits of Golden Milk
- Turmeric is a spice that's anti-inflammatory so it relieves any inflammation in the body. When there's too much inflammation in the body, it can cause various illnesses, such as gum disease, heart disease and cancer. Turmeric also protects your body against carcinogens, so drink it regularly to ward off cancer.
- Almond milk is a good vegan source of protein as well as other nutrients, such as fibre. It's low in fat, but make sure you choose the unsweetened variety so you get more of its nutritional value.
- Ginger helps to ease digestive problems and nausea, so it's worth consuming daily to keep your stomach calm. Ginger is also an antioxidant, fighting free radicals that can damage the body and cause illnesses such as cancer.
- Cardamom. This is a spice similar to ginger and it offers similar health benefits, such as treating digestive problems. However, it also helps the body to eliminate waste effectively through the kidneys.