Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Veggie muffins. Not really your everyday kind of muffin. I didn’t really want a spongey texture for this kind of recipe. It just doesn’t go with the savory veggie taste in my opinion. So I used my recipe for quick no-yeast bread or biscuits. Enjoy!
I used the following ingredients:
- 160 g buckwheat flour
- 100 g spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon turmeric and/or sweet red pepper powder
- 200 ml boiling hot water
- 60 g coconut fat, solid, cut into small pieces or grated
- 100 ml oat drink (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 5-6 tablespoons tomatoes fresh or canned
- 3 tablespoons sweet corn 2 grated carrots seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350-370 F.
- Weigh the buckwheat flour in a bowl. Pour in the boiling water, not all at once. Slowly and until all the flour is ‘wet’ and still pretty thick, so thick it does not fall off the spoon (you probably won’t need to use all the water). Set aside and let cool.
- Mix all the dry spices with the spelt flour in a separate bowl. Add the coconut fat and use a pastry knife to cut it in the flour until you get a mixture of coarse crumbs. Combine this with the buckwheat, again use the pastry knife to make it easy on yourself, halfway through add the oat drink slowly and a bit at a time. The muffin mix should be soft, wet, and easily manipulated.
- At this point add all the veggies. I recommend spicing up the tomatoes a bit (salt, pepper) before mixing them in.
- Use an ice cream spoon to fill your muffin tray (silicone works best in my opinion) and place in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle some seeds on top for extra crunch.
These savory muffins are wonderfully moist, and pretty healthy if you ask me. They might just satisfy those nagging pizza cravings you have. Also don’t limit yourself creatively-- you can add almost any vegetables you want or have on hand. My next batch will be mushroom flavored for sure!