Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
The sauce from this recipe is good on its own with pasta, but it's with the beans and veggie-sausages that it really shines.
You can easily substitute in other vegetables, to use up whatever you have in the fridge or garden.
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- a large courgette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 400g canellini or butter beans, cooked weight
- a packet of vegan sausages - use a textured protein variety, as vegetable ones will disintegrate in the sauce
- Heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Peel and quarter the onion.
- Wash the carrots and courgette, top and tail them and chop into large chunks.
- Toss the chopped vegetables in the olive oil and thyme and roast for 30-40 minutes, until browning nicely.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the sausages according to the manufacturers' instructions, and then chop them into bite sized pieces.
- Allow the vegetables to cool a little, then combine them with the tomatoes in a food processor. Blend to a smooth sauce.
- Combine the sauce, beans and chopped sausages in a pan. Heat until everything is thoroughly warmed through.
- Serve with rice or pasta.