Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Pot Stickers are a wonderful food that is so delicious served with rice, Chinese noodles, and salad. I have never met a person yet who refuses to eat Pot Stickers. When you visit Chinese restaurants a variety of flavors is offered. Before becoming vegan 7 years ago I adored the Chinese restaurant buffet close to my home. Normally my family and I would go there once or twice a month to eat. Each time you passed by the buffet bar the Pot Stickers pan was always empty. It seems this was the first to go and they were always making more. I sat and watched as the cook came from the back with a fresh pan of Pot Stickers. You would see over half the people eating in the restaurant get up and go to fill their plates with the Pot Stickers.
Now being vegan I make Pot Stickers at home for my family. Instead of using crab, lobster, pork or chicken I made a delicious vegetable Pot Sticker. My recipe will make 26 Pot Stickers. I have to triple this recipe each time I cook Pot Stickers. It seems that even making a triple batch of Pot Sticker there is never enough and my family is always asking for more.
Chinese Dipping Sauce * (recipe follows)
4 Dried Black Chinese Mushrooms
½ Cup Carrots finely chopped
½ Cup Celery finely chopped
½ Cup Broccoli finely chopped
½ Cup Cauliflower finely chopped
2 Cups Chopped Napa Cabbage or Green Cabbage
¼ Cup Chopped Green Onions
1 Can Water Chestnuts finely chopped
1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
2 Teaspoons Black Soy Sauce
26 Wonton Wrappers
2 Tablespoon Vegetable oil, divided
1 Cup Vegan Vegetable Broth, divided
Sliced Green Onions (optional)
- Place mushrooms in medium bowl; cover with warm water. Soak 20 to 40 minutes or until soft. Drain water. Remove mushrooms to cutting board; remove stems and discard. Chop mushrooms and return to bowl.
- Place carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions, water chestnuts, sesame oil, and soy sauce in large bowl, toss slightly to combine.
- Cut 1/2 –inch triangle off each cover of each wonton wrapper so the shape is more rounded. Place about 2 tablespoons vegetable mixture in center of each wrap.
- To shape pot stickers; lightly moisten edge of each wonton with water; fold in half. Starting at 1 end pinch edges together making 4 pleats along edge; set pot stickers down firmly, seam side up. Repeat until all filling is used. Cover pot stickers with plastic wrap while shaping remaining pot stickers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place half of pot stickers in skillet, seam side up. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Add ½ cup vegan vegetable broth to skillet. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed (15 minutes if pot stickers were frozen). Repeat with remaining vegetable oil, pot stickers and vegan vegetable broth.
- Place pot stickers on serving platter and serve with Chinese Dipping Sauce. Garnish with onions.
Recipe yields 26 Pot Stickers
Chinese Dipping Sauce
Makes about ¼ Cup
Combine ¼ cup black soy sauce; 1 tablespoon rice vinegar and 1 teaspoon dark roasted sesame oil in small bowl.
Pot stickers may be cooked immediately or covered securely and stored in refrigerator up to 4 hours or frozen up to 3-months. To freeze; place pot stickers on cookie sheet; freeze 30 minutes to firm slightly. Remove and place in freezer food storage bag. * Frozen pot stickers do not need to be thawed before cooking.