Prep Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Who doesn't love lasagna? Tangy, creamy, and as hearty as it is heartwarming, this crowd-pleasure's gone all kinds of vegan. And even the most fervent dairy lovers won't miss it, with this easy and healthful version. This cashew-created cheese has a major Wow effect, with a similar texture to goat cheese. It's the perfect creamy spread to give your lasagna layers both sticking power and incredible flavor. The pesto goes a long way to mingle perfectly with the lasagna, earthy mushrooms, and zucchini. And making this dish in serving-size ready rollups makes it easy and appealing.
- 1 package lasagna noodles (Great GF options are available these days!)
- 4 cups of your favorite red pasta sauce
- 1 jar or 1 cup pesto
- 3 medium zucchini
- 6 cups cooked spinach, drained, cooled, removed of excess water
- 4 cups cooked crimini mushrooms
- Prepare Herbed Cashew Ricotta and refrigerate (see below).
- Cook lasagna noodles until they are tender but not mushy, according to package instructions. Be sure to stir frequently but gently, to prevent tearing.
- While noodles cook, slice zucchini into thin (1/4 inch) strips. Toss in grape seed or other high-heat oil and roast in a 420 degree oven for about 7 minutes. Remove & set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees for your lasagna rollups.
- Saute mushrooms until done. Add in uncooked spinach when nearly done, but keep in a separate part of the pan. You'll want the spinach to remain separate for easy draining and removal of excess water. Allow to cook down around your mushrooms.
- When noodles are done, drain and cool slightly. If using GF noodles, be sure to rinse them in cold water for improved texture.
- With your fingers, tear your cooled, drained spinach and stir it into your Cashew Ricotta mixture.
- Lay your noodles flat on a cutting board or other clean, flat surface. Layer with approximately two teaspoons of red sauce, followed by a teaspoon or two of pesto, your Cashew Ricotta mixture, zucchini strips, and mushrooms.
- Roll up noodles and place side by side in a glass cooking pan.
- Cover your rollups in the remainder of your red pasta sauce.
- Cover glass baking dish with aluminum foil to prevent drying while in the oven.
- Bake your rollups for 30 minutes in your 400 degree oven and allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
For the Herbed Cashew Ricotta:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons chopped dried oregano, parsley, or basil
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper or cracked black peppercorns or
- Blend cashews, oil, lemon juice, and water in blender or food processor for five minutes.
- Add in seasonings. Mix well. Continue to season to taste.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before using.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.