Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Making doughnuts at home is surprisingly easy and a lot of fun! My grandmother taught me how to make this quirky recipe which is for a doughnut twist made out of potato. I know it sounds weird, but these little morsels of fried dough are pure heaven and can be served as a dessert or as a side to a savory dish because they are not too sweet.
The process and ingredients are very similar to gnocchi, so I've been calling these "dessert gnocchi" to sound cool, but potato doughnut is also pretty awesome sounding.
This recipe makes approximately three dozen doughnuts.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting your work surface)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple sauce (or any egg replacer)
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- oil for frying
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes and water to a large pot and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain and using a masher or potato ricer, squish the potatoes into a paste in the same manner as making mashed potatoes.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, apple sauce, lemon zest and juice and extracts and stir until they are combined.
- Gradually add the flour and mix slowly. You are aiming to make a ball of dough that is similar to bread dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth.
- Cover with a tea towel so that it doesn't dry out and lightly flour your table or work surface.
- Grab small balls of dough and roll each piece into a skinny snake that is roughly 4 inches long.
- Fold in half so that the ends meet and twist over once so you have a shape that is reminiscent of a knot. (No need to make a real knot, you aren't trying to secure anything.)
- Heat at least 3 inches of vegetable oil in a large pan or wok.
- When it begins to bubble, add each doughnut slowly, making sure that they do not stick to each other.
- Fry until brown which will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove each doughnut from the oil with a slotted spoon, or chopsticks and drain off excess oil with paper towels.
- Dust with sugar to serve.
image by author