Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
As I have been a vegetarian for more than half of my life, I am no stranger to veggie meals. Now that I've decided to go vegan, my love for veggies is greater than ever. I'm always on the lookout for a good, simple vegan recipe, or at least one that I can easily adapt.
This is a wonderful, warm, homey meal and it's not too hard to make. Cozy up and enjoy.
- 4 individual ramekins or one pot
- 2 mid-sized onions
- 2 potatoes
- 1/2 rutabaga
- 1 cup green beans
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened plant based milk, I used oat
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp vegan margarine. (I use coconut fat.)
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy/plant-based milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 F, or 180 C.
- Start by cutting up your vegetables, unless you're using frozen. Put some olive oil in the pan and add the onions once it's hot. When the onions turn slightly gold add the rutabaga and potatoes, stir for a minute. Then add the rest of the veggies, salt, sweet ground red pepper, 3 bay leaves, ground pepper, ground cumin, basil, parsley...or whichever speaks to you in the moment. Add enough water so that the vegetables are just covered and let simmer for about five minutes.
- In the mean time, you can prepare the biscuits. Take the dry ingredients and mix them together, cut in the margarine (I used coconut fat at room temperature-- otherwise it's too hard. If you use margarine or other vegan options, you should use it cold) until you get the look of a coarse crumb mixture. At this point, add whichever liquid you chose and mix. The dough will form quickly, do not overwork it (It can be a little uneven.)
- Flatten it into a disc using your hands. It should be about a finger thick. Then cut out a round shape to cover your pot pies - it should fit your pot or ramekins. Set aside.
- The veggies have simmered down a bit by now and it's time to add the cup of milk of your choosing. Stir and cook for about five more minutes and taste. Add salt and/or other spices if needed. In a cup, whisk together 1 tablespoon of flour and half a cup of water. Add it to the vegetables and stir to thicken. If it gets too thick, add some water. If it's too thin, add some more flour and water mixture.
- Put the veggie mix into prepared lightly greased ramekins (or pot) and cover with biscuit dough. Before baking, brush the dough with some olive oil or vegan margarine.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are a nice golden brown color. Let cool for at least five minutes before serving.
*Image courtesy Flickr Creative Commons.