Here’s a cautionary tale of a soft, chewy and rich oatmeal cookie speckled with plump dark raisins the color of midnight. Yet much to my surprise, this sumptuous baked item is vegan and clearly in disguise of a cookie packed with butter and eggs. Can a vegan cookie stand up to a homemade classic – yes it can!
While these cookies lack some traditional ingredients they are packed with flavor. The heavenly smell when baking in the oven, leads to the perfect cookie. The rich brown sugar and nutty oatmeal batter is perfectly dotted with deeply flavored raisins that burst with sugar in every bite.
This versatile cookie is relatively healthy, vegan and can be made gluten free. Although, oats are naturally gluten free they are often contaminated with wheat when processing. Therefore, if you need or prefer gluten free cookies, be certain that the oat flour and oats are labeled.
Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Cinnamon Raisin Crunch
- ½ cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup raisins
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter sticks, sugar, honey and vanilla until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to butter mixture and stir to blend. Stir in oats and raisins.
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Slightly flatten each cookie with the back of the spoon and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for about 12 minutes, until lightly browned.
Makes 24 cookies
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.