Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
I still remember, just as the monsoon showers would begin, my mother would fry some hot and crispy potato fritters for the entire family with some flavoursome cilantro chutney and hot cups of tea. Today, it’s my turn to treat her to this special Indian vegan snack that she so lovingly made for me. This vegan recipe is very easy to follow and can be prepared in no time. This recipe that I am sharing can easily serve four people. You can increase the quantity according to the number of people you plan to prepare this dish for. So let’s get started, shall we?
- 2 cups of potatoes
- 1/2 cup of chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour
- 1 tablespoon of crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seed powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of mango powder
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of asafetida
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Step 1: First, wash and peel the potatoes. Then cut them into small cubes and soak them in cold water, so that they don’t turn black or brown.
- Step 2: Mix all the dry spices and flour together.
- Step 3: Drain the excess water from the potatoes after washing them.
- Step 4: Take a large bowl, add the spice mix, flour, and potatoes. Add water to the bowl, so that all the ingredients get mixed properly. Make sure the batter is not too watery or too thick.
- Step 5: Add salt to the batter at this stage and mix it evenly throughout the batter.
- Step 6: Take a large pan and heat some oil on a medium flame.
- Step 7: Use a spoon to dip a bit of the batter in the frying pan; this should help you understand if the oil is hot enough. Remember, the oil must be hot enough and should be at least an inch deep, so that the fritters can be fried properly.
- Step 8: Once you know that the oil is hot, you can drop a few more potatoes and fry them till they are golden brown. You can turn them once or twice till they are well done.
- Step 9: Use a paper towel to soak up the excess oil and then serve these hot and crispy fritters with some hot cups of tea!
Hope you enjoy the recipe!
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr's Creative Commons.