One of my Pinterest boards (as well as my cookbook shelf) is full of vegan recipes, from the simple to the elaborate. However, I often opt for simple, no-recipe meals and snacks. I think it’s important, especially for new vegans, to remember that there are plenty of simple pleasures available for vegans, without hard-to-find ingredients or complicated cooking procedures.
Obviously some of the ideas I’ve listed below are more healthful than others, and using products like whole-grain pastas and breads and fruit-sweetened jams will increase the benefits. I’ve tried to stay from overly-processed food, as well as extensive cutting, peeling and measuring. I’ve also avoided pre-packaged food ideas such as canned vegan soups, various junk foods, and frozen vegan entrees. Some of these pre-packaged options are quick as well as healthful, but can be expensive and difficult to obtain.
Besides the obvious plain fruit and vegetable snacks such as baby carrots, bananas, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes and clementines, here are some of my favorites quick snacks and meals:
1. Sliced apple and peanut butter
2. Cereal and soy milk
3. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
4. Pasta and jarred tomato sauce
5. Oatmeal, soy milk, maple syrup
6. Toast with avocado or guacamole squished on top
7. Chips and salsa
8. Baked or microwaved potato with frozen broccoli (heated of course)
9. Can of corn + can of black beans + squirt of lime juice
10. Bag of salad and bottle of dressing
11. Pizza toast - bread spread with red sauce in toaster oven (add Daiya for an extra treat).
12. Blend frozen bananas with a little soymilk in a food processor for almost-instant soft serve
I’m always looking for new ideas for quick fix vegan options, even if they seem obvious, so please add your favorites in the comments. All of your comments and votes are appreciated!