I am an ice cream lover, but it is hard to justify when you are trying to not do any, or less dairy. There are plenty of seemingly great frozen dessert alternatives to conventional dairy ice cream, but whose got time to try them all out? I'm sure we've all experienced the pain of shelling out $6 or $7 for a small pint of non-dairy ice cream, only to be terribly, terribly disappointed. In addition to being pricey and limited in flavor options (and in some cases, flavor to boot), store bought varieties often include epic amounts of processed sugar and other additives, not to mention they're generally pretty heavy on packaging that inevitably winds up in landfills. Who doesn't have a warm fuzzy feeling (though it may seem counterintuitive) when thinking about pure homemade ice cream? Well, we don't have to give it up, just because we've chosen a vegan lifestyle! So here is an alternative that I thought was pretty darn good! I just play around a little with the ingredients depending on how thick or thin I want it, also adjusting the level of sweetness to my taste and mood.
- 3/4 to 1 cup of almond milk or coconut milk (sweetened or not...or even homemade!)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of peanut butter, or any nut butter to your liking. ( I like, and truly prefer, homemade almond butter)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of 100% pure cocoa
- 1 or 2 frozen bananas (depending on the size and how much you like banana)
- 1 teaspoon or so of pure vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of stevia powder (or for vegetarians, can use honey)
- About 6 ice cubes
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of raw wheat germ (totally optional)
There you have it! All you do is put the ingredients in a blender and waalaa! I also have wanted to try and add a cup of spinach to this to see if it would hide some more healthy factors in this, but haven't yet. Let me know how you like it!