I had plain biscuits (similar to digestives) in the house and was craving chocolate, but we had a large snow storm yesterday, so I definitely wasn't venturing out there just to get chocolate. I made some chocolate-covered digestive type of treat by mixing a few ingredients on the stove top and then let it set for a few minutes in the freezer. I will also show a recipe I found on how to make the actual biscuits. However, if you already have biscuits in the house this will be even faster!
I eye-balled this, so no exact measurements. You want a bit more coconut oil than you do the rest of the ingredients. Not too liquidy, but not thick either. It should pour similar to maple syrup.
- 2-3 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs cacao powder (or carob powder)
- 1-2 tsp xylitol (or sweetener of your choice - and how much depends on how sweet you want it, obviously. :))
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- toppings: shredded coconut and cacao nibs
- Plus the plain biscuits
- *Add a drop of peppermint extract to make it a mint chocolate flavour
*This way of making chocolate can be used to coat bananas, strawberries, cupcakes, cakes, banana bread, ice cream, biscotti, raisins, almonds, crepes....etc. It solidifies quickly too.
- Heat the coconut oil until melted. Remove from heat and add in the rest of the ingredients except for the topping. Mix well until all the lumps are gone. Get out your biscuits and lay them in a tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the chocolate on top, sprinkle with toppings and place in the freezer for a few minutes, or until the chocolate has solidified. Done! :D I suggest keeping them stored in the fridge or freezer. They might get melty if left out.
Some recipes for making actual biscuits
Wheat Free Digestive Recipe from iheartwellnesss - I haven't tried this, but it is on my list! I think I'll use my method of making chocolate instead of using chocolate chips, since they usually add cane sugar or something similar.
I also found a recipe that uses ground almonds and flour, but it calls for 1/4 cup of brown sugar, which I never use, but here is the recipe in case you'd like to try it: Vegan Milk Chocolate Digestive Biscuits by onegreenplanet.
I think I will go have one or two now...I always get hungry when I'm on the Flaming Vegan.