This is a vegan version of Beef Stroganov. Stroganov is the name of it in Russian, as it is a Russian dish. However, the American version is called Beef Stroganoff and is a little different than the original Russian one, especially because the original doesn't have bacon on it, like the American version does. But the Vegan version is so delicious as all of those and free of animal cruelty.
Beef Stroganoff used to be my favorite dish, but stopped eating it when becoming a vegan. Then my girlfriend (also vegan) came up with this vegan version. It is easy to prepare and it doesn't take that long. Nowadays, a good recipe is also one where the food can be prepared quickly as most people don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. So here goes the Vegan Stroganov version. It will be your favorite dish after trying it:
- 500ml of tomato sauce (any kind)
- 300 grams of hydrated soy protein
- 200g of oatmeal
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 10 sliced âchampignons
- Start frying the onion, the mushrooms and the garlic with olive oil. Add the soy protein until it becomes brown. Then add the tomato sauce.
- Season it with salt and pepper and add the oatmeal.
- Serve it with rice or shoestring potatoes. I hope you enjoy the meal.
- Tip: Try to make your own tomato sauce to avoid preservatives.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.