- One 10 to 12 ounce pkg elbow macaroni (whole wheat pasta is great for this recipe)
- One 12.3-ounce package silken tofu
- 2 cups firmly packed cheddar-style nondairy (vegan) cheese
- 2 tablespoons margarine nonhydrogenated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (if preferred leave the garlic powder out)
- ½ cup of sour cream (Vegans can leave the sour cream out with no problem, or use vegan sour cream.)
*Optional: Veggies of your choice. Baked or sauted broccoli is wonderful, and roasted kale is also great! Place macaroni in boiling water and continue to boil for eight to ten minutes, then drain. Place tofu in blender and puree until smooth. Place the tofu, 1½ cups of cheese, sour cream (if adding sour cream) and margarine in a medium sized pan, simmer over low heat and stir constantly until cheese product is melted.
Place macaroni, sauce and garlic in a casserole dish and stir until well mixed. Spread the remaining ½ cup of vegan cheese on top of casserole and bake at 400 degrees until cheese melts and top begins to turn a light gold around the edges (approximately 20 minutes).
This recipe is a great way to introduce children, as well as adults to the vegan life-style. As an alternative, 1 cup of cooked broccoli can be added before baking and topping with vegan cheese.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.