Prep Time: 5 minutes
I rarely go to Starbucks, but this is the time of year where I start fawning over their pretty lattes. I am not sure if this is always the case, but I recently learned that their soy lattes aren't necessarily vegan, and still contain dairy. I haven't personally looked into this, but that kind of eliminates me getting a latte from them, if this is true. They are also too pricey for me anyway, except for a rare treat.
Anyway, this isn't a latte, but it is a comforting peppermint coffee with delicious whipped coconut milk and cacao nibs and cinnamon on top. So yummy and pretty! I love these types of drinks in the colder months. :)
- Brewed Coffee (or Espresso)
- 1-3 tbs Almond Milk (unsweetened or vanilla) / Soy French Vanilla Creamer
- 1-2 drops Peppermint Extract and/or Natural Candy Cane
- Ground Cinnamon / Nutmeg, for garnish
- Cacao Nibs, optional for garnish
- Optional: 1 tsp cacao powder/carob powder
Whipped Coconut Milk
- Full Fat Coconut Milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1-2 tbs Coconut Sugar / Cane Sugar / Xylitol
(or you can use a pre-made vegan whipped cream to save time)
- If you haven't made coconut milk whipped cream, you leave the can in the fridge overnight, then the next day you remove the thick coconut on the top of the can and leave the liquid at the bottom. Then you add this, plus a sweetener of your choice to a blender and blender until it is whipped. Storing it in the fridge firms it up a bit.
- Add all the non-coconut milk ingredients together in a cup, except for the garnish and the candy cane. Then scoop some whipped coconut milk on top, shake on some cinnamon, sprinkle some cacao nibs on top and stick in a candy cane! Of course you can tweak and omit things as you see fit. You can omit the coffee and add all almond milk, along with cacao powder to make a peppermint hot chocolate drink.
- Keep the remaining whipped coconut milk in the fridge.