Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 7-10 mins.
I repeat, simple is better. Some of the easiest, most simple recipes end up being the best.
A simple avocado sandwich is so good; and so is a simple grilled tofu sandwich.
We have a panini press which we use at least three times a day: bagels for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and toast with soup for dinner.
I also use our panini toaster to press tofu; to make it firm and drain the excess liquid.
It's easy, take the block of tofu out of the container and put it in the Panini toaster. Press your tofu anywhere from 1 hour to overnight. If you don't want your tofu to fall apart, don’t skip this step. If you don't own a panini press, then drain with paper towels.
• 1 block firm tofu, well-pressed
• 2 tbsps. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. Freshly cracked garlic salt
• 2 tbsps. Freshly cracked black pepper
• Sourdough bread
1. Slice the tofu into 3 thick slabs.
2. Rub each side of each slab with freshly cracked garlic sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. (I buy the Trade Joe’s Sea Salt with Garlic grinder. It has Roasted Garlic, Onion and Parsley.)
3. Drizzle olive oil on both sides and allow to marinate for at least two hours.
4. Grill until lightly browned on both sides. (7-10 minutes)
5. Set apart.
6. Place 2 slices of sourdough on the Panini press and drizzle with olive oil. Press for 15 seconds. Flip the slices and drizzle a little more olive oil on each side.
7. Place one slice of grilled tofu over one of the bread slices and cover with the remaining slice.
8. Grill for 5 minutes or until browned.
You can add thinly sliced tomatoes and red onions as well; but like I said, simple is better and less is more; and this sandwich is really good as is.
Tofu is so versatile. You can use this same method and use a variety of seasonings.
Some ideas are:
Lemon Pepper Tofu- use olive oil, lime juice and freshly cracked pepper.
Tofu Teriyaki- use sesame oil, use soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, garlic and ginger.
Barbecue Tofu- use olive oil, tomato sauce, maple syrup, , soy sauce, sweet paprika and chili powder.
Smoky Tofu- use olive oil, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, or mesquite seasoning Pesto tofu - use olive oil, basil, garlic, pine nuts and nutritional yeast.
Indian Tofu- use olive oil, ground cumin seeds, turmeric, ground coriander, ginger, onion, garlic and paprika.
***You can also use grilled tofu for wraps, stir frys or veggie kebabs.