4oz/115g/generous 1/2 cup of dried green lentils
2oz/55g/ 3/8 cup of pine nuts
1tbsp of olive oil
1 oinion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10oz/280g of zucchini, sliced
9oz/250g of tomatoes, chopped
14oz/400g of canned artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half lengthwise
9oz/250g/generous 1 1/4 cups of couscous
16fl oz/500ml/2 cups of vegetable stock
3tbsp torn fresh basil leaves, plus extra leaves to garnish
- Put the lentils into a pan with plenty of cold water, bring to a boil, and boil rapidly for 10min. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 15min., or until tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler to medium. Spread the pine nuts out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and toast under the preheated broiler, turning to brown evenly-watch constantly because they brown very quickly. Tip the pine nuts into a small dish and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, and zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10min., or until tender and the zucchini have browned slightly. Add the tomatoes and artichoke halves and heat through thoroughly for 5min.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous into a heatproof bowl. Bring the stock to a boil in a pan and pour over the couscous, cover, and let stand for 10min. until the couscous absorbs the stock and becomes tender.
- Drain the lentils and stir into the couscous. Stir in the torn basil leaves and season well with pepper. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and spoon over the cooked vegetables. Sprinkle the pine nuts over the top, garnish with basil leaves, and serve at once.
Substitute ingredients as needed.