Chew on this! Prepare to impress your omnivorous friends with a tasty and substantive salad that's great on pita, on picnics, and at parties. Who doesn't love the tangy zest of grapeseed veganaise? And you can feel free to dress this salad up with other fresh ingredients you might have on hand, like garden tomatoes or chopped parsley.
A word to the wise: If you steam the tempeh for a few minutes first, it will remove the bitterness. If you place it in a large pan and steam it, it will take about ten minutes. You don't want it to be soggy, so keep an eye on it. This salad makes a great sandwich, and is also nice served on top of greens.
- 8 oz. tempeh, diced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 small green pepper, chopped
- About 1/2 of a smaller red onion (adjust to your like of onions)
- 5 pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tblsp soy milk, hemp milk, or other vegan milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup Veganaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Add mayo and milk.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. *I often add a pinch of cayenne.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.