Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 mintutes
I love Oriental food, and one of my favourite dishes to cook at home is a stir-fry with noodles. Not just because of its delightful spicy flavour, and because it is relatively healthy, if you don't use too much oil, but also because it is so quick and easy! This one that I cooked the other night only takes about 15 minutes from beginning to end, including preparing the vegetables. I have taken to buying the type of noodles that are pre-cooked in a packet, and which you put straight in the wok/pan with the veg, etc. (no boiling them first). My particular favourites at present are the Singapore-style noodles, which have a lovely curried flavour. I don't have a wok at present, but I use a large non-stick frying pan, which gives good results.
So it is just a matter of tipping it all in a hot wok or frying pan, stirring it round for a few minutes, and hey presto! It sizzles a lot as you cook it, so it is quite noisy, but it is worth it..
(Disclaimer: You may be forgiven for thinking that this dish is not vegan, as in the photo it looks as if it has prawns in it. But they are cashew nuts, I swear!!! I thought I should clarify that before the Vegan Police come for me!!)
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 small onion, diced
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, eg sesame or sunflower
½ of a yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced into slivers
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
8-10 large chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
½ small head of broccoli, sliced into florets
1 good handful of cashew nuts
1-2 glugs of soy sauce
1 150 g packet of soft straight-to-wok noodles
1) Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan on a medium-high burner. Add onions until soft and transparent, about 5 minutes.
2) Add garlic and chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3) Add the mushrooms, pepper, broccoli and cashew nuts and cook until softened, 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4) Lastly add noodles, soy sauce and salt and pepper and continue to cook for around another 5 minutes on a high heat, stirring all the time, until veg is tender and some of the moisture has been absorbed.
5) Check seasoning and serve immediately.
Enjoy, let me know what you think! Your votes and comments are much appreciated.