This delectable dessert makes the most of fruit currently in season, especially strawberries. These fruit sundaes only take about 15 minutes to prepare, and if you serve them in a tall glass, it gives a very decorative and professional look! The fresh strawberries and kiwi fruit are high in vitamin C and fibre, and if you use just 2 scoops of ice-cream per serving it keeps down the fat and calorie content.(Well, you've got to tell yourself they are good for you somehow, haven't you? To alleviate a bit of the “calorie guilt”! I don't usually worry about that though, I just enjoy them!!)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
290 g (10 ½ oz) can of raspberries in apple juice, or syrup
100 g (4 oz) strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
500 ml (18 fl oz) tub of vegan vanilla ice-cream
12 fresh raspberries
4 mint sprigs, to decorate
1) Drain the raspberries and reserve 2 tablespoons of juice from the can. Mash the raspberries with a fork or process in a blender until smooth and runny.
2) Using a spoon, press raspberries through a fine sieve into a small bowl. Discard seeds from the sieve. Stir the reserved juice into the raspberry pureé.
3) Divide 50 g (2 oz) of the sliced strawberries between 4 tall dessert glasses. Put half of the sliced kiwi fruit over the strawberries. Spoon 2 scoops of ice-cream into each glass.
4) Carefully drizzle raspberry pureé over the ice-cream. Place the remaining strawberry slices, kiwi fruit and raspberries around the side of the pureé.
5) Decorate each sundae ith a mint sprig, and serve immediately.
Variation: For a crunchy topping, add a sprinkling of chopped, toasted mixed nuts, flaked almonds or shredded coconut, just before serving.
Enjoy this dish - an indulgent pleasure is good for you, once in a while!!! Your votes and comments are very much appreciated.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.