The following gardening ideas will help you grow fantastic organic vegetables. You will be assured the vegetables are pesticide free and enjoy harvesting the vegetables from your backyard. This can be a project for the whole family.
- Consider container gardens or raised beds for planting, weeding and harvesting ease.
- Start a composting bin to fertilize your garden naturally.
- Break the ground up with a three prong garden fork. Turn the ground over dumping weeds upside down. The weeds will decompose and add fertilizer to the soil.
- Invest in a soaker hose to water tiny seedlings. A soaker hose is much easier than carrying a watering can back and forth to and from the hydrant.
- Recycle an old laundry basket to gather vegetables. While the vegetables are still in the laundry basket rinse the dirt off with a garden hose. The water will drain out of the laundry basket like a strainer.
- Tie plastic disposable shopping bags around shoes before walking in the garden for easy shoe clean-up later.
- Healthy soil produces plants that can withstand disease and insects.
- Organic compost encourages worms which naturally fertilize the soil.
- Household vinegar makes a healthy organic weed killer. Place in a spray bottle and spray directly on weeds.
- Beans and peas transfer nitrogen in the atmosphere into a chemical that neighboring crops can utilize. Consider planting them near carrots, cabbage, turnips and other vegetables.
- Onions and marigolds act as natural insect repellants.
- Rotate the crops you plant in a particular bed every couple of years to keep the soil from becoming depleted.
Reasons to Garden:
- Gardening is a stress reducing activity.
- Family gardening projects promotes family togetherness.
- Gardeners soak up plenty of vitamin D.
- Save money.
- Rest assured your family is eating insecticide free vegetables.
Royalty-free pic courtesy of 123rf.com.