Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Do you want two fabulous recipes for the holidays that make quick treats and delicious snacks? Well, these two are sure to please any of your Christmas or New Year’s guests. They are also simple and easy, and you can totally adapt them to fit your personal preferences!
Ingredients for Spicy Hazelnuts:
- 190 g (1 1/2 cups) of hazelnuts (or, alternatively, use almonds if you prefer)
- 1/2 teaspoon of gingerbread spices
- 1 tablespoon of raw sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of hazelnut butter
- 1 tablespoon of buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1 pinch of salt
- 15 ml of water
*Two different techniques can be used to prepare these: the oven or in a dehydrator. I personally prefer the oven because it gives a more pleasant roasted flavor, but I will nonetheless explain how to do it in the dehydrator as well.
- Preheat oven at 180°C (350°F).
- Mix the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Spread the nuts on a cookie sheet for the oven, or on the plate of the dehydrator.
- For the oven: cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through. For the dehydrator: dehydrate the nuts for approximately one night at a temperature below 50°C (120°F).
- Let the nuts cool before putting them in a hermetically-sealed container. Keep them at room temperature, away from humidity.
For Cashew Hummus:
- 190 g (1 1/2 cups) of cashew butter (you can easily make this yourself by putting cashews in a blender for a very long time)
- 35 g (1/4 cup) of whole sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 10g of lemon juice (approximately 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon of dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of natural, liquid sweetener (I have a weakness for pure maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend to desired consistency.
- Serve chilled with vegetables, bread, crackers, or chips.
Photo credit: flickr.com