14oz/400g/2 1/4 cups of dried black beans
2tbsp of olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, coarsley chopped
1/2-1 tsp of ground cumin
1/2-1 tsp of mild red chili powder
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
14oz/400g fresh tomatoes, diced, canned, or chopped
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper
- Soak the beans overnight, then drain. Place in a pan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1.5 hours, or until tender. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Stir occasionally until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the cumin and chili powder and continue to cook for a moment or two. Add the red bell pepper, carrot, and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add half the cilantro and the beans and their reserved liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until very flavorful and thickened.
- Stir in the remaining cilantro, adjust the seasoning, and serve at once.
Substitute ingredients as needed.