This spaghetti dish is quick and simple to make (around 30 minutes to prepare and cook) uses quite few ingredients, and tastes divine (very filling too!), so what more could you want for an easy lunch or dinner dish? You could also use linguine in place of spaghetti, as it is very similar, and I think tagliatelle might work equally well. It really needs to be a strand type of pasta, so that the sauce will cling to it. Whatever, it is pasta heaven in any case!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
14 oz/400g spaghetti
⅓ cup/50 g pine nuts
2 tbsp/30 g vegan margarine or olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1 dash of white wine
1 good pinch lemon zest + squirt of the juice
2 oz/50 g chopped mixed herbs (e.g. basil, chervil, tarragon, chives)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1½ oz/40 g vegan mozzarella or Parmesan, grated or shaved
Fresh chives, to garnish
1) Cook the spaghetti in boiling, salted water until “al dente.”
2) Toast the pine nuts gently in a dry skillet until golden brown (being careful that they don't burn), then take out and leave to cool.
3) Heat the butter or oil in the pan and lightly sauté the garlic, then deglaze with the white wine and simmer until slightly reduced.
4) Drain the spaghetti, retaining a few tablespoons of the water. Add the lemon zest and juice, herbs and drained pasta to the garlic, toss to combine and add a few spoonfuls of the pasta water.
5) Sprinkle with the pine nuts, and stir in.
6) Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve scattered with the vegan cheese and chives.
Enjoy this dish! Your votes and comments are very much appreciated.