Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
This is a wonderful comfort food in the colder months of the year. I enjoy making this simple dish and adding different types of vegetables. This is a great dish family dinners or pot lucks. Invite your non-vegan friends over for dinner and serve this great Spanish style dish. Even if they aren’t vegan they can’t resist the wonderful taste of spices, rice, vegetables and avocados. Make a toss green salad and serve with hot tortillas or warm bread. It is sure to make a hit with everyone and they will be begging you for your recipe.
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or vegan butter
- ¼ Teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon virgin olive oil
- ¼ Teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 Large red or white onion, diced
- 4 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Can 14 ½ ounces vegetable broth
- 1 Cup long grain white or brown rice, uncooked
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 Large green or red chilies, seeded and diced
- 12 Large mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Carrots, graded
- 1 Large white turnip, graded
- 4 Large tomatoes, seeds removed, peeled, and diced
- 1 Large Green bell pepper, diced
- 1 Large Yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 Cup vegetables, chopped (your choice)
- 1 Large black beauty eggplant, skin removed, cubed
- 2 Large ripe avocados, seed and skin removed, sliced
- 5 Sprigs cilantro, chopped
- Add butter and olive oil to a 2-quart saucepan.
- Melt butter over medium head, mixing with the olive oil.
- Add onions, mushrooms and garlic, cook until onions are translucent.
- Add diced chilies, oregano, pepper, salt, cumin, turmeric, and rice to your saucepan.
- Stir continuously for 3 minutes until the rice is opaque.
- Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 minutes.
- Add mixed vegetable of your choice, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and diced eggplant to the top of the rice, spread evenly, and don’t stir.
- Cover and cook another 7 minutes or until rice is tender.
- When rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork.
- Mix in avocado slices, graded carrots, diced tomatoes and graded turnips.
- Turn off the stove and let stand 5 minutes, covered before serving.
- Serve with diced cilantro and a scoop of salsa on top of the rice.