Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
This is a perfect spring/summer salad dish that’s also great as part of a weight loss diet. Each healthy portion contains just 331 calories, and is packed with flavor and goodness too! This recipe is quick and simple to prepare and cook. The recipe makes four generous portions.
- 140g soba noodles
- 300g soy beans (edamame), fresh or frozen
- 4 spring onions, finely shredded
- 300g beansprouts, washed and drained
- 1 cucumber (halved lengthways, peeled, sliced and seeds removed using a spoon)
- 250g firm tofu block (dried and sliced thickly)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- a few coriander leaves, to garnish
- sesame oil
- 3 tbspns mirin
- 2 tbspns tamari
- 2 tbspns fresh orange juice
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small pan. Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 30 seconds. Set to one side and allow to cool slightly.
- Cook and prepare the noodles as per the manufacturer’s instructions on the packaging. Add the soy beans 2 minutes from the end of cooking time and cook until thoroughly warmed through.
- Rinse the noodle and bean mixture thoroughly under very cold water. Drain well and place into a large bowl. Add the beansprouts, cucumber, spring onions, warm salad dressing and a little sesame oil. Add seasoning to taste.
- Now take the tofu which you’ve dried with kitchen towel. Brush the tofu steaks with vegetable oil and season well. Cook the tofu steaks on a griddle or under the grill for two to three minutes each side. Be careful as you turn the steaks as the tofu is very delicate and easily broken. Tofu can be a little bland so make sure you season it well.
- Serve the salad on warm plates with the tofu steaks arranged on top. Top with ripped fresh coriander as a deliciously fragrant garnish.
Image source: BBCgoodfood.com