Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
When it comes to Italian food, there is so much on offer, from lasagna and pizza to endless varieties of pasta! These easy yet classic dishes win our hearts time and time again. Not to mention, there is nothing more economical and delicious than to set the table with a big bowl of spaghetti with "meat"balls. Here, I am going to share a vegan "meat"ball recipe which will tempt everyone you love, regardless of their diet. Let’s get started!
• 1/2 diced onion
• 4 cups diced tomatoes
• 1/2 chopped carrot
• 1 cup of dried mushroom
• 1 chopped bell pepper
• 2 cloves crushed garlic
• 1 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil
• 1/3 cup water
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• Prepared spaghetti
METHOD TO PREP THE VEGAN MEATBALLS:
• STEP 1: In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat, saute half of your garlic and onion in olive oil until onions are translucent.
• STEP 2: In another pan saute your remaining garlic, mushroom, onion and basil in olive oil until golden brown. This will take approximately5- 7 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste
• STEP 3: Add chopped carrot and bell pepper and saute until cooked to desired firmness.
• STEP 4: Once the mixture is ready, transfer it to a bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes.
• STEP 5: Add enough water to the mixture to achieve your desired "meat"ball consistency, and start forming your "meat"balls.
• STEP 6: Add oil to a pan. Pan fry your veg "meat"balls until they are golden brown. (This should take approximately 10 minutes.) Now that your vegan meat balls are ready, set them somewhere warm while you prepare your sauce.
METHOD TO PREPARE THE SAUCE:
• STEP 1: Heat olive oil in a pan and add tomatoes, water, salt, sugar, pepper, and with basil. Cook for just a minute or two.
• STEP 2: Pour the contents into a food processor and then transfer back into the saucepan once combined. Continue cooking over medium heat.
• STEP 3:After cooking the mixture over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, the sauce will be ready.
Serve your incredible sauce and vegan "meatballs" together over spaghetti or your pasta of choice!
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr.