Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
I love cinnamon rolls! They have that classically heartwarming cinnamon flavor, and are oh so gooey and delicious! This amazing vegan version is great for breakfast or holiday brunches. I add dates to the filling because it contributes chewiness and sweetness. These are just the thing to fix on Christmas morning!
Roll Dough Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup warm water, about 110 degrees
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup vanilla unsweetened soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup soft coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates (Medjool are the best.)
1. Using either non-stick cooking spray or other vegan oil, grease a 8x8 square or comparable round pan and set aside.
2. Place the warm water, 1 tablespoon sugar, and yeast in a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Stir for until combined and then set aside for 10 minutes. Yeast will double and reach the 3/4 cup line. If it doesn't, either the yeast is dead or the water wasn't warm enough. Try again with yeast you know is active.
3. Heat the soy milk, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and margarine in a small saucepan over low heat until the margarine is just melted.
4. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and set aside to cool until warm to the touch.
5. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients adding flour a half cup at a time until a soft dough is formed.
6. Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface.
7. Cover with a cloth and let stand until doubled in size. This should take about 10 minutes.
8. Check the dough. If you think it is too moist, add a tablespoon of additional flour. If it is too dry, add a tablespoon of warm water until it is slightly tacky. When you touch it with your hand, some dough should stick to the touch. You want it a little sticky, and not dry.
*Note- After the roll batter has risen in the pan, you can cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night, to bake the next day.
9. Roll into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface until about a 1/4 inch thick.
10. Spread the filling over it and then roll up the dough tightly, situating it with the seam down.
11. Cut in 1 1/2 to 2 inch sections and position these in the well buttered pan.
12. Now cover with plastic wrap and set on top of the oven or near it to raise while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
13. When the oven is hot, bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
14. Make the glaze and let the rolls cool a few minutes before drizzling it on them.
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/2 tub vegan cream cheese at room temperature (I use Tofutti).
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered or confectioner's sugar (put coconut sugar in a spice or coffee grinder and grind until it is powdered and you have enough for 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and vegan margarine until creamy. Add powdered coconut sugar and vanilla extract. Whip until well mixed and creamy. Refrigerate icing until ready to use and then bring to room temperature before spreading.
2. Serve right away or store rolls in airtight container so they don't dry out. They will store for up to two days.