This taco salad is a family favorite. It has become so popular at our annual family reunion that if no one brings it, everyone complains! It can be made to suit both vegans and vegetarians by selecting either soy cheese or dairy cheese. I've made it for meat-eaters and no one realized they were eating "fake meat." It's easy to take to potluck dinners – just mix everything but the tortilla chips and dressing in a big covered bowl ahead of time and put those two ingredients on right before serving. Simple and delicious!
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound soy protein crumbles, prepared per package directions
- 10 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese or cheese substitute
- 1 head lettuce 2 medium tonatoes, diced
- ½ can black olives, sliced (optional)
- 1 8-oz. bottle Catalina dressing, to taste
- 1 small bag organic tortilla chips
Combine everything but the tortilla chips in a large bowl and mix well. Break up chips and sprinkle over top immediately before serving.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.