Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40-50 minutes
Tomato soup. It's an American classic. Pear it with a crispy, crunchy salad, or a grilled sandwich or panini, and you're in heaven. Perhaps a delicious vegan quesadilla next to some warm bread, and you've got tangy, tomatoey bliss few can argue with. One of the most beautiful things about tomato soup is it's versatility. Dress it up with some beautiful basil, creamy goat (or vegan ) cheese, and you've got maximum sophistication. Serve it up to Junior next to a grilled (vegan) cheese sandwich, and you've got an instant sand box hit. Either way, tomato soup is the ticket. From the cafeteria to the dinner party, tomato soup has got it goin' on. This simple but richly flavoured soup is perfect for any time of year, whether you still want something to warm you against the cold, or are looking forward to the fresh and ripe tastes of summer. It's unfortunate that so many people find the making of tomato soup so intimidating. Try doing it yourself once, and you'll be hooked. Avoid buying it in a can and the flavor benefits alone will pay you back in spades. Not to mention the extra cash in your pocket from doing it at home, and the ability to keep the sodium down and the tastiness up. Pull up a chair. Take a deep breath. It's soup time.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 3 big cloves of garlic
- 2 pints of vegetable stock
- Handful of fresh basil
1. Pre-heat the oven to 390 F.
2. Quarter the tomatoes.
3. Chop the pepper in half. Remove the core and seeds.
4. Roughly chop the garlic.
5. Toss the tomatoes, pepper and garlic with the oil in a large roasting tin. Season with black pepper.
6. Roast the vegetables until tender and starting to blacken at the edges, about 30 to 40 minutes.
7. Allow the roasted vegetables to cool slightly, then combine them with the stock and blend in a food processor until smooth.
8. Pour the soup into a heavy bottomed pan and bring briefly to the boil. Add the basil leaves and remove from the heat.
9. Serve with good crusty bread.
*Photo courtesy Flickr creative commons.