Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Tomatoes-- so versatile, so healthy. From starters, to soups, to whole entrees-- tomatoes are indeed an amazing ingredient. The tangy flavor of this fruit makes it so unique and inspiring. Today, I'll share a healthy and wholesome tomato soup recipe that is perfect for any cold winter's eve.
Ingredients for the soup:
- 7 to 8 fresh tomatoes
- 5 cloves of peeled garlic
- 2 small onions
- 5 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- A handful of chopped fresh basil or cilantro for the garnish
How to get started:
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 450F/230C.
- Step 2: Wash and cut all the tomatoes. Slice the onions and peel the garlic cloves as well.
- Step 3: Next spread the tomatoes, garlic, and onions onto a lightly oiled baking tray.
- Step 4: Drizzle the ingredients with olive oil.
- Step 5: Add desired seasoning, such as salt and pepper.
- Step 6: Next, roast the ingredients for 30-35 minutes until they get a rich caramelized glaze.
- Step 7: Remove the roasted tomatoes from the oven and transfer them to a large soup pot.
- Step 8: Add about 2 cups of vegetable stock along with the bay leaves.
- Step 9: Bring the entire mixture to a boil.
- Step 10: Once it boils, reduce the heat and let simmer for another 20 minutes. Make sure that the soup is fairly thick. Discard the bay leaves once you turn off the heat.
- Step 11: Puree the soup if you like, and add some more pepper to taste.
Garnish the soup by adding chopped fresh basil or cilantro. The roasted flavor of the tomatoes makes this soup incredible, so enjoy.
Photo courtesy: Flickr's Creative Commons.