- 5 lb fresh tomatoes
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 qt. vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves Butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 stalks diced celery
- Plain (nondairy) yogurt (optional )
Temperature: 450 degrees
Bake Time: 20 - 30 minutes
Makes: 6 or more
large cookie sheet
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash, core and half tomatoes.
- Spread tomatoes, garlic and onions on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast 20-30 minutes or until carmelized.
- Meanwhile, sauté diced carrots and celery in olive oil until tender.
- Add roasted vegetables to stock pot with vegetable stock, bay leaves and maybe 1-2 tbsp butter. *I use coconut oil in place of butter.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes or until liquid is reduced by 1/3.
- Add basil.
- Cook until wilted.
- Puree well.
- Top with plain yogurt.
* As a Vegan I only use non-dairy, non- soy yougurts made from coconut or almond milk.
A special thanks to my friend Tina Rumbley for sharing this recipe with me!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.