Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Baking my own bread is somewhat like a stress buster for me, but since I am mostly running short on time I like finding or experimenting with quick recipes. Today, I tried a cranberry vegan bread recipe. Now instead of using bananas (a natural substitute for eggs) I chose to use the flax seed mix instead. My reason for this was very clear; I didn’t want the bananas to overpower the flavor of the bread.
Another interesting fact about this recipe is that instead of traditional yeast, I am going to use baking powder. This also helps reduce the overall time spent in preparing this vegan bread. Another great tip is to not work the batter up a lot; a few lumps here and there are fine. Let me get started with the ingredients now?
- 1 to 1½ cup of cranberries
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 10 to 15 walnuts
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 packet of organic flax seed mix
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 2: Use a teaspoon of the vegetable oil to grease the loaf pan.
- Step 3: Next, take a large bowl and add the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Step 4: At this very stage, you can also add the cranberries.
- Step 5: Crush the walnuts and add them to the bowl along with the sugar.
- Step 6: Whisk the flax seed meal, lemon zest and water in another bowl.
- Step 7: Mix the dry ingredients with the wet until the bread mix is white and foamy. You can use a blender if you like.
- Step 8: Pour the bread batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Step 9: Cool the loaf for 10 to 20 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Remember to let the bread sit for a while before slicing it or else it will simply crumble. My bread lasted for 4 days in the refrigerator. Hope you liked this recipe.
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr's Creative Commons.