Apples are the most concentrated sources of health-promoting phytonutrients out there. However, apple sauce you get in the stores is often unexciting, bland, and even full of added sugars. Here is a recipe to not only make your own fresh apple sauce, but add a boost of omega 3, protein, and next textures.
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- Squirt of lemon juice (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- The first step is to take the apple and core it.
- Next you need to finely cut it using a knife, food processor, or even your handy-dandy Vitamix.
- Once done, go and fold in the chia seeds. Here I also added some lemon juice for flavor and to prevent browning.
- It's fine to eat right away, or you can let the chia seeds soak up some moisture and soften a bit by letting your applesauce sit for a few minutes.
Enjoy making this and saving money! Feel free to comment, ask for recipes with other ingredients, and if you liked this recipe then be sure to click the like button!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.