Yes, vegans can have their nachos and eat it too! This recipe is inexpensive and simple to make...great when you have children helping out in the kitchen. Great snack for the upcoming football season or movie night!
- 1 – 20 ounce bag nacho chips
- 2 cups grated vegan cheese (your choice)
- 1 - 14 ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 jar salsa (or you can make your own)
- 1 cup black olives
- ¼ cup jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped vine ripened fresh tomatoes
- Place nacho chips on large microwaveable platter in a single layer.
- Rinse kidney beans well and drain.
- Place kidney beans on top of chips.
- Top nacho chips and beans with 2 cups grated vegan cheese distributing evenly.
- Place chips, beans and cheese in microwave for 40 seconds or until cheese is melted.
- Place shredded lettuce on top of cheese.
- Add vine ripened fresh tomatoes on top of lettuce.
- Then add a layer of black olives and jalapeno peppers.
- Top with 1 jar of salsa.
- Serve nachos immediately.
The vegan nachos are wonderfully tasty, but one of the best parts of the recipe is one dish clean-up. Cheese is melted and nachos are served off the same dish. Be careful not to directly touch dish while hot.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.