I thought I was a hopeless case. When I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) last year, and found out all its other effects on my body, I was absolutely alarmed. Alongside the bad news, I was already gaining weight and I do not know a normal diet which could go with my daily routine. My doctor gave me a prescription of birth control pills, and because of it, I gained more. People around me were telling me about the changes in my figure. I cannot explain how depressing it was for me to fight the urges of eating an unhealthy diet while changing my shape.
Two months after that, I found the vegan diet. I was skeptical at first. My mind was saying yes, but my heart could trust the idea that I could go on a plant-based diet. My mom cooks really good food every day, so the idea of making my own vegan food for the rest of my life was beyond torture. Without a doubt, I could not simply tell my family to switch to a vegan diet. It was definitely a turning point.
Until one day. I realized how vegan diet could really benefit my life. My doctor explained to me that PCOS is a hormonal imbalance, causing my anxiety and weight gain. It was funny, because my doctor even told me that my anxiety has anxiety because of PCOS. Expounding on my case, she went on to say that thirty years ago, PCOS was not a common syndrome among women. When hormones and steroids started to be injected into animals, processed and manufactured food came into being. As a consumer, processed food added up to a large part of my unhealthy diet. And while I was taking those hormonal birth control pills, I became insulin resistant, making me more vulnerable to getting Type-2 Diabetes. My jaw dropped!
From there, through quating on everything, I found out that the perfect and healthy way for me to proceed would be by going on a vegan diet. My skepticism turned into excitement. The solution was to go on a high fiber diet-- something which is found abundantly in plants!
Here is a list of the drastic changes which happened to me after I started my vegan diet:
1. No more mood swings: It was not easy working at my day job with differing levels of emotion. My vegan diet made me feel more hydrated, healthy, and positive about life.
2. I lost a lot of weight!: My body weight was definitely a massive burden. I am always insecure and annoyed when I see my past pictures. But now my natural figure is back. And I am more than happy and excited about everything.
3. My metabolism improved significantly because of fiber: My new, more efficient bowel routine helped with my otherwise bloated feeling.
4. I was fit and healthy to do the things I wanted: Now I can travel to anywhere I want without feeling nauseous and tired for a short period of time. Marrying exercise and vegan diet will surely get you to places!
5. It made me a better person: Because of my vegan diet, I became more optimistic. Now, I don’t have to constantly worry about all of the fat and calories from what I’m eating and how they're contributing to my overall health.
Other sources about Polysistic Ovarian Syndrome: