Prep Time: 5 minutes
I accidentally overcooked a sweet potato and bought a bag of discounted mushrooms that were still pretty fresh and decided to make a quick mushroom sweet potato pate that only used a few nuts (A bunch of recipes often use quite a large ratio of walnuts/almonds/sunflower seeds etc). Nuts and seeds are definitely healthy, but I just wanted a lighter dish. I think vegan pate's are so delicious, and this one is no exception. It is so versatile. Here are some ideas for what you can use it with:
- Wraps/Burritos/Rice Paper Rolls - Try using wraps made out of rice flour for a nice gluten-free option
- Mixed into salads/coleslaw
- As a spread on sandwiches, on top of veggie burgers
- With crackers - Some healthy cracker ideas are unsalted rice crackers or Mary's Gone Crackers
- As a dip for veggies - I like dipping raw zucchini slices into the pate
- As a condiment
- Mixed into quinoa, rice, millet...
- As a topping for pizzas - I like making healthy "pizzas" from small gluten-free tortillas
What is a Pâté?
In case you are unsure as to what a Pâté is, it is traditionally a mixture of ground meat that is made into a spreadable dip or paste. You can made some delicious vegan variations, like the one in this recipe. I will link to some other recipes at the end of this post in case you'd like to try some others out/
- 1 cooked sweet potato
- 10-15 small mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 tbs almonds (or walnuts, sunflower seeds...)
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast, optional
- For some heat, add in some sriracha, cayenne or hot pepper flakes.
- Add in a small handful of parsley
- Add in a couple of garlic cloves
- Add in some sun-dried tomato
- Simply blend all of the ingredients until smooth (little bits here and there are fine, and sometimes nice for texture). Eat straight away or allow to set for a bit in the fridge.
Some other vegan Pate recipes:
- Lentil Walnut Yam Pate - http://www.wholeheartedeats.com/2013/12/pates-lentil-walnut-sage-yam.html
- Country Pate - http://www.rickiheller.com/2011/02/sugar-free-gluten-free-dairy-free-egg-free-nut-free-anti-candida-country-pate-recipe/
- Herb-Crusted Lentil Nut Pate - http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/03/herb-crusted-peppercorn-lentil-nut-pate.html