Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
I am pleased to say that I no longer miss eggs, as I have discovered this great recipe for tofu scramble, which is ideal for breakfast or brunch. I quite often have this at weekends, and it is very filling, especially served with a couple of slices of toast. I know not everyone likes tofu, as on its own it is certainly rather bland and tasteless, but I am quite fond of it – what I love about it is its ability to take on other flavours, and this scramble is certainly not tasteless! (There are some international variations to the flavourings which you can add, I have given them at the bottom).
Additionally the texture of tofu makes it an ideal replacer for eggs, as in this recipe, and dairy products, besides as a substitute for meat in certain dishes. It is also high in protein and low in fat, so you can feel quite virtuous about eating it! Make sure you use the firm kind of tofu for this recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 lb (450g) extra firm tofu, crumbled or cubed
- 1 large-ish red onion, diced (or you can use a white onion)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3-4 large chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional pince of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp shoyu (soy sauce), or to taste
1) Heat oil in a large sauté pan on a medium-high burner. Add onions and garlic.
2) Cook until the onions are soft and transparent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3) Add the tofu and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Add the mushrooms and cook until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (When it starts to dry out a little bit you will know that it is done).
5) Serve on toast, or with crackers, rice cakes, etc.
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp jalapeño de-seeded and chopped
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp oregano
Enjoy, let me know what you think!