9oz/250g/scant 1 5/8 cups of all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
2tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2tbsp superfine sugar
1-2tbsp cold water
9oz/250g/scant 1 3/4 cups of packed brown sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
4tbsp unsweetened cocoa, sifted
5.5oz/150g of semisweet chocolate
10fl oz/300ml/1 1/4 cups light cream
1tsp chocolate extract
15fl oz/425ml/scant 2 cups of whipped heavy cream and chocolate flakes and curls, to decorate
- To make the pie dough, sift the flour and cocoa into a mixing bowl. rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough cold water to mix to a soft dough. Wrap the dough and let chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured counter and use to line a 9inch/23cm loose bottom tart pan or ceramic pie dish. Line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. Bake in a preheated oven, 375F/190C, for 15min. Remove from the oven and take out the paper and beans. Bake the pie shell for an additional 10min.
- To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl and gradually beat in the eggs, with the cocoa. Melt the chocolate and beat it into the mixture, with the light cream and chocolate extract.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325F/160C. Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake for 45min., or until the filling has set gently. Let cool completely, then transfer to a serving plate.
- Cover the mud pie with the whipped cream, decorate with chocolate flakes and curls and let chill, ready to serve.
Substitute ingredients as needed.