With healthy diets becoming more and more common nowadays, many people are on the lookout for healthy recipes and new ways to enjoy some of their favorite foods in less calorific quantities. Fortunately, even if you adopt a strict vegan or gluten-free diet, you can still enjoy the great taste of healthy yogurt by making use of some delicious ingredients.
A lot of vegan yogurts will involve the use of Thai coconut flesh, but here we have a recipe that offers something a little different. Yogurts are high in protein and definitely help to balance out your diet and fulfil your nutritional requirements each day, so it’s well worth giving this recipe a try and including some tasty yogurt in your dietary plan.
The list of ingredients for this yogurt is extremely simple and you won’t need to spend a fortune preparing it. All you’ll need is:
- two cups of cashews
- half a cup of water
- the powder of two probiotic capsules
- two or three tablespoons of Grade B maple syrup
In addition, this particular probiotic cashew yogurt is also free of wheat and soy, so it is suitable for people with allergies to gluten and soy. Now let’s take a look at the best way to prepare this great-tasting yogurt:
- In advance, you’ll need to prepare the cashews by soaking them in water overnight. Leave them to soak for at least eight hours for best results. If you don’t have the time and need to make some of this yogurt quickly, you can try soaking the cashews in boiling water for half an hour.
- Once soaked, the cashews will need to be rinsed off and blended with half a cup of water and two of three tablespoons of syrup. More syrup will add sweetness to the yogurt, so adjust the amount you use depending on your preference. Once this step is complete, you’ll need to use wooden or glass-based utensils for the rest of the process, as metal objects will kill the friendly bacteria you are about to add to the mixture.
- Next, you’ll need to drop the cashew, water and maple syrup mixture into a glass bowl and add your powdered probiotic capsules. These will add friendly bacteria to the mix, making the yogurt extra healthy and particularly beneficial for your digestive system. Stir in the mixture, once again remembering to use a wooden or glass utensil for this process.
- After the above steps are complete, you can cover the bowl with a light cloth or a piece of muslin. Leave the bowl in a warm and dark place for a day or two, allowing the ingredients to get to know each other and healthy bacteria to grow. You can taste the yogurt after the first 24 hours and see if you like it. If the mixture isn’t quite to your liking, leave it for another day to get a more sour, "yogurty" flavor.
- Once it’s ready, place your probiotic cashew yogurt into a container and let it get nice and cool before serving.