Prep Time: 5 mins.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
Lentils are loaded with fiber, folate, iron, protein, and other vitamins. Boost its iron fortifying properties by pairing it with a food containing vitamin C, (kale and lime).
This inexpensive and really easy to make soup is an amazing iron-rich, protein-rich, fiber-rich dish. It uses plenty of spices to perk it. It’s warming, flavorsome and so tasty.
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 ½ cups Green Lentils (rinsed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp of cayenne
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoons fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Sauté the shredded carrot, chopped onion, minced garlic, lentils and curry powder in the hot oil until softened (about 5 minutes).
3. Pour in the broth and rest of ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the lentils, carrots and potatoes are soft.
5. Remove bay leaves.
6. For a creamier texture, purée half of the soup in a blender or food processor and add it back to the pot.
7. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 more minutes.
8. Taste and season with more salt or pepper as needed, then stir in the lime juice.
9. Remove from the heat and garnish with cilantro if using.
*Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to a month.
*Enjoy with rice, quinoa or crusty bread for a simple hearty meal. Or add 2 inch tofu cubes for additional protein.
Being pregnant, I am always looking for good iron rich foods, and luckily for me, I've been craving lentils throughout my pregnancy. At first I just wanted more of the foods I already love, spicy, sour and salty snacks (aka hot sauce, lemonade and popcorn). I've never been a soup drinker, but I've craved lentil soup almost everyday. They say girls make you crave ice cream, chocolate, and candy. Not this one. Give me more soup!