Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
There is nothing like a refreshing smoothie to start off your day or to cool you off in the afternoon. I love to use fresh, seasonal ingredients and it's always fun to use things that are a little unique. That's why I chose rhubarb for this recipe. High in fiber, protein, vitamins, and calcium, rhubarb is extremely healthy for you. There's also debate over whether it's a fruit or a vegetable (it's so sweet though, how could it not be a fruit?). I love rhubarb, but unfortunately most of the ways that it is cooked, such as in pies or stewed over the stove, adds a lot of unneeded, added sugar. Rhubarb is naturally sweet so, even though I used a little bit of sugar in this recipe, it really doesn't need it at all. The strawberries themselves add so much sweetness as well as a delicious seedy texture. It's definitely one of my favorite summer smoothies!
- 1 ½ cup of strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 ½ cup of rhubarb (frozen or fresh)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of agave nectar
- 1 ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 3/4 cup of pomegranate juice (or if you’re cutting back on sugar, water is fine, too)
- Slice rhubarb and strawberries into small pieces.
- Add rhubarb, strawberries, agave, almond milk, and juice together in a blender.
- Add ice if you did not use frozen fruit.
- Mix together until smooth.
And there you have it, it's as easy as that. The wonderful thing about smoothies is that they are so easy to modify, and it's so easy to make vegan! Smoothies can be like dessert and healthy nutrients all in one. Enjoy my take on a vegan rhubarb smoothie!
Original Recipe: Rhubarb Strawberry Smoothie
Image credit: https://www.pexels.com/photo/clear-drinking-glass-with-strawberry-845552/